Pens and markers of different colours
Paper or a computer file
What is this tool and what is its purpose and benefit?
A vision statement presents the project results, the developed service, providing a clear overview of it, its goals and its main philosophy. This visual and verbal communication helps to explain the real idea, benefit and value of the service, the challenges it answers to and with which solution to be communicated to customers, public and internally. It provides a vision for the implementation of the service, guidelines for marketing, and can contribute to the company's strategy.
Steps how to use this tool in practice
The same steps apply when working individually, in pairs or in a group.
The main result of your process, the service as the title, the goal of your work.
1) The challenge or issue the service addresses.
2) A short description of the solution to the challenges, that is the intention of the service.
3) The core benefit, gains and profits the service provides to users. Show the importance of your work not only for the customers but also in a broader perspective: community, country, world. For example, this could be maintaining cultural heritage or improving mental wellbeing. You can also add stakeholders and collaborators as beneficiaries.
4) A short description of yourself: who you are, what are your skills, why you do what you do and what does it mean to you, and your future aspirations.
5) The long-term vision you want to get with the service, the long-term goal, that should also be in relation to yourself and your professional identity. Keep in mind the long-term perspective.
Write everything in a short and approachable way for anyone to understand regardless of their background, and make an infographic of it or put it into an otherwise visual and organised form. Write the first sentence to summarise the vision statement in a captivating manner to be easily memorable. Add key images of the vision to support and describe it. Remember also to keep it in a present tense as if you had already reached the vision, as the vision statement describes a reached outcome and how we feel about it.